My blog, she is broken. Again. Apparently comments don’t work for external users – although Bryan and I can comment all day long, as logged-in users.
I love troubleshooting blog stuff. Love it! I’ll let you know when either 1) it’s fixed, or 2) I’ve deleted the whole thing and taken up needlepoint.
Update: It’s fixed now, and the performance is dramatically improved. I’m going to need to restore the customization a step at a time, and test. It’s nice to be up and running again. Lessons learned:
- I’m so glad I backed up everything before embarking upon this adventure!
- Don’t start a major application upgrade or fix at 10am on a workday.
- Read the fine print. I was able to export my database for backup – but it was too big to import, and my hosting provider doesn’t allow SSH connections to shared hosting accounts.
- Manually upgrading is more complex and risky than the hosting provider’s push-button automated upgrade.
- Did I mention that I’m so glad I backed up both the entire site & the database?
I’ll try 2.5.1 and SQL 5.0 again when I have lots of time to spend on it.