I have a confession: I am a foodie. Our family loves interesting, fresh, gourmet food and the processes and products that go into it.
My husband is as likely to park the TV on Food Network as he is ESPN to spend some downtime, and we enjoy celeb chefs like Alton Brown, Paula Deen, Rachel Ray and the folks at America’s Test Kitchen (and its evil twin, Iron Chef America).
One of the wonderful things about the Cannon Beach area is the food industry. We visited the Tillamook cheese factory and the smaller, more charming Blue Heron French Cheese company. There’s a Harry and David’s in the Seaside outlet mall, and lots of little food and gift shops up and down Highway 101 in between.
I came home with a huge haul, an entire backpack full, of food stuff, including:
- Wheels of smoked pepper and herb garlic brie
- Chili garlic cheddar, garlic white cheddar cheese, plus the always popular cheese curds
- Different chutneys, including Harry and David’s popular red pepper and onion
- Jam, jam, jam! Fig/ginger conserve, maple pear butter, peach butter, pumpkin butter, and key lime curd.
- More fabulous Chukar Cherry stuff – a restock on our favorite cherries jubilee
- Almond and lemon shortbread cookies, and almond and hazelnut truffles
- Some cool Fantes collapsible measuring cups and flat-pack measuring spoons
Our family has enough cheese and interesting jam to last us a good, long time! And I’m excited to try cooking with some of the new products.