After reflection and much creative effort, I’ve created a new blog which will hold my primary personal writing efforts. It is:
Smug Puppies will stay around for a while in its current form, and then probably archive to a subfolder under the new one, if I can figure out how to resolve all the domain name & export/import issues.
Posted on Wednesday, June 15th, 2011
Under: Uncategorized | Comments Off
Smug Puppies is on hiatus for a time while I work on personal writing projects and develop interesting new directions for my blog — and my life. I’m still online in short form on twitter and facebook, and I’ll be writing publicly again soon. Enjoy my friends’ and fellow UCF members’ blogs linked on the right.
Posted on Friday, April 15th, 2011
Under: writing | Comments Off
My friend Vince is resurrecting a meme along the lines of “Ten things I’ve done that you probably have not.” I thought I’d jump in, although ten things is a minor challenge because my life is rather normal.
- Was born in a country that no longer exists – Burma – child of a military embassy attaché.
- Created and fed keypunch cards into an early mainframe computer.
- Learned to flyfish at 10 and prospect & pan for gold at 14
- Self-administered my own allergy shots for two years.
- Went cliff diving at midnight in an eastern Washington lake with friends.
- Rode in a ski patrol toboggan down a black diamond mogul-studded run – with a shredded knee. (Oh, and ski-bummed for a winter, too!)
- Married a man with the exact same first and middle name as me, creating a couple with identical names. (And divorced a man etc…)
- Rode a snow machine up the Yukon River at sunrise on the last leg of a business trip.
- Traveled above the arctic circle a few times. (OK, not all that unique given my Alaskan background and friends.)
- Swam an open water mile, sans wetsuit, in cold water.
What about you? What have you done that’s unique?
Note: this post is part of my commitment to WordPress’s Post a Week 2011 blog initiative. You can also do a post a day, but that’s probably not realistic for my busy self.
My friend Stephanie, aka @agenticecream, alerted me to the challenge – I look forward to seeing the year through with her.
Posted on Sunday, January 2nd, 2011
Under: blog meme | 6 Comments »
Today I’m thankful for simple pleasures:
- sleeping in my very own, comfy, squishy bed
- waking up to a purring kitten on my chest
- long hot shower in my own bathroom
- a sunny morning walk with the dog
- a cup of my favorite tea with the dog on my feet
- peanut butter!
- calls from both kids and my mom
- music that I love at my fingertips
- painting, painting and more painting – hard messy work, but therapeutic
Sometimes it’s not the big epiphanies that keep me going – it’s an accumulation of little things that make the day worthwhile.
Posted on Thursday, December 30th, 2010
Under: gratitude | Comments Off
Growing up, I rarely fit in. I was a reader, an early adopter of technology, didn’t watch tv, abstained from drugs/alcohol/boys and didn’t get fashion and popularity at all. It was painful
Now I have the comfortable identity I wish I had then. Geek. Woman and geek. Or, geekgrrl. I’m so grateful to have found kindred spirits, both locally and across North America online, and life is good.
No one describes being a geekgrrl better than the amazing Marian Call (buy her albums!):
Posted on Tuesday, December 28th, 2010
Under: gratitude, technology | 1 Comment »